Shiitake, Ginger and Tofu Hokkien Noodles
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Marinating time: 4 hours
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Source: The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook – Brand Miller, Foster-Powell, Marsh & Sandall, Hachette 2006
Ingredients: 2 tablespoons soy sauce 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine 1 tablespoon Chinese black vinegar 1 clove garlic, crushed 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger 375g packet firm tofu, cut into 1.5cm cubes 450g packet hokkien noodles 1 tablespoon olive oil 3 cm piece ginger, cut into very thin matchsticks 1 long red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced 150g baby corn, halved lengthwise 150g fresh shiitake mushrooms, halved 150g sugar snap peas, strings removed 6 spring onions, trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths 1 bunch choy sum, trimmed, cut into 3 equal lengths
- Combine the soy sauce, rice wine, vinegar, garlic and grated ginger in a shallow, non-metallic dish. Add the tofu and turn to coat in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning once.
- Meanwhile, place the noodles in a large heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 5 minutes, then drain well.
- Heat half the oil in a large wok or frying pan. With a slotted spoon add the tofu (reserving the marinade) in batches and fry until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil, add the sliced ginger and chilli and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the baby corn and mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 minutes more. Add the sugar snap peas and spring onion and cook for 1 minute, then add the choy sum and reserved marinade. Toss together for 1–2 minutes over heat. Return the tofu to the wok and toss to combine and heat through.
- Place the noodles in bowls and top with the vegetables and marinade liquid.