How To Set and Achieve Your New Year Health and Lifestyle Goals.
For many of us, the start of a new year brings the opportunity to make lifestyle changes, whether it’s eating better, exercising more, quitting smoking or reducing stress. But while the New Year brings renewed motivation, this is often short-lived. Achieving long-term success requires planning, commitment and action.
Here are some tips to help you to achieve success with your health and fitness goals in 2017:
- Set realistic and achievable goals. Make your goals challenging but not impossible.
- Turn your goals into a plan of action. Write a list of the steps you need to take to reach your goal and give them a deadline for action. Consider a tool like Lifetick a web-based app that allows you to set and track multiple goals, create tasks and reminders, view your progress with charts and reports and even invite others to support and keep you motivated.
- Create your plan of action. Take advantage of the increased motivation that comes with the start of the New Year and get started on your plans now!
- Have a compelling reason to change. This will provide you with the motivation to get started and to keep going when things get tough!
- Get organised. Work out what you need to do to change – this could be stocking your cupboards with healthy foods, seeing an exercise physiologist to help you with an exercise plan, finding a local meditation class or talking to your doctor about quitting smoking.
- Be patient and keep the end in mind. Nothing big gets accomplished in one day. Resolutions are set in a moment, but accomplished with many small steps that happen throughout the year. New Year’s resolutions are just a starting point but you need to continue to revisit your plan.
- Seek support. Tell others about your goals and get their support. Can they be your exercise partner, help you to keep the kitchen stocked with healthy foods or just keep you accountable for your actions? Consider joining up to Promise or Pay for some added motivation and to support a good cause.
- Reward yourself. Planning a reward for achieving your goals is a great way to keep you motivated, particularly when the going gets tough. Whether it’s a new piece of clothing, a massage, a relaxing weekend away or a holiday, having something to work towards can really help.
- Remain flexible. Expect that your plan can and will change. Life often throws unexpected things at us, and flexibility is frequently required when it comes to achieving your goals. Sometimes the goal itself will even change. Take the time to re-evaluate your plan and goals throughout the year.