Apple, Cranberry & Walnut Bread
Makes 12 slices
Soaking time: 30 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45-60 minutes
Source: The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook – Brand Miller, Foster-Powell, Marsh & Sandall, Hachette 2006
50g (1/2 cup) rolled oats
300ml skim milk
240g (11/2 cups) wholemeal self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
125g dried cranberries
60g (1 cup firmly packed) dried apple, cut into small dice
75g (1/3 cup) dark muscovado sugar (or brown sugar)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon all spice
1/3 cup pure floral honey (eg Yellow Box)
30g (1/4 cup) walnuts, finely chopped
- Place the rolled oats in a bowl, pour over the milk and soak for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F/Gas 4).
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl and stir in the rolled oats mixture, the dried fruit, sugar, spices and honey, mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into a non stick 900g (2lb) loaf tin (or brush the tin with oil to prevent sticking) and level the top and sprinkle with the walnuts. Bake for 45 minutes-1 hour, or until the loaf is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the loaf comes out cleanly.
- Allow the loaf to cool a little in the tin before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely. The loaf will store for several weeks if wrapped in foil and kept in an airtight container.